Monday, February 25, 2008

Treasure Island: A Look to the Past


Here is a picture that was taken in 1989. My family and I went to Treasure Island, FL with another family that we were close to growing up. This is a picture of Derek, Alex and I with our cousin Brandy Grubbs. We on vacation with the Grubbs' family for several years either to Myrtle Beach, SC or somewhere in Florida. We would always have so much fun. For months leading up the actual day of departure my brother, Derek and I would sit up at night making lists of all the things we wanted to do, what we would take with us and anything else we could think of to keep talking about it until we left. We counted down the days until we hopped in that car and took off. The thing I remember most about this particular trip is that there was an oil spill in Florida that kept us from being able to swim in the ocean toward the end of our stay. The interesting part about it was that there were tons of sea creatures that had died and washed up on the sand. We saw sharks and swordfish, blowfish and star fish. I found a sea horse that was so well in tact that we picked it up and brought it back with us in a zip-loc bag. I still have it till this very day. Though it sounds like a gloomy experience, I look back on it with fondness. My Dad and I walked for miles down the beach marveling at the amount of sea life that made it to the shore. Memories...

3 comments:

Casey said...

I love when you post these pictures!

Anonymous said...

Time Warp Tuesday!!!! Yeah, I love the pictures too, and the stories.

I can't imagine having the presence of a father in my life!

EMullins said...

I have so many great memories of Florida vacations too! We always went to Fort Myers and I'd collect sand dollars and star fish. =)