Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A Capital Mistake!

Wednesday, Wednesday Bloggy Friends!

I have a funny Wednesday memory for ya. As a child, I was a really good speller. In the sixth grade I was even the school-wide Spelling Bee champion. The next year I went into the championship again, after winning once more in my grade level. This year I was a clear favorite. To ensure victory, my grandmother and I practiced like crazy the weekend before. Once the contest day came around, I felt positive I'd get up there and win it again. The bee took place in the auditorium, in front of the whole school. On the stage next to me, the representatives from each grade anxiously anticipated their turn to spell. When it came my turn the moderator announced my first word, "Wednesday." I knew I had this one in the bag. "Wednesday, W-e-d-n-e-s-d-a-y, Wednesday," I finished confidently. I turned to sit down, knowing I had spelled it correctly. "I'm sorry that's wrong," the moderator said, stopping me in my tracks. "The correct answer is CAPITAL w-e-d-n-e-s-d-a-y." I forgot to mention the "W" was supposed to be capitalized! So there I was, the previous year's champion, and I was out on my first word! I was so humiliated. When I got off the bus that afternoon a bratty girl in the front seat peered over at me and said, "I'm glad you lost the spelling bee today!" I looked back at her and in my sassiest voice I said, "I'm glad too, I didn't want to win it anyway!"

I hope you guys have had a great day! Talk to ya soon.

Love, Josh

4 comments:

EMullins said...

That whole capital letter thing was a trick! I'm sorry, Mammy.

I was always the best speller at Paint Lick until they closed Buckeye and Marcella Davis showed up. That bitch! =)

I remember the word that got me eliminated in sixth grade: "barracks." I think I spelled it barax or barrax. If only I'd discovered my penchant for men in uniform by that point.

Casey said...

What a funny story! It's been such a long time that I dont even remember having to say the first letter should be a capital.

I do was a good speller and sadly was put out one year by the word "needle." For some crazy reason, I left out one of the e's. I dont think I'll ever forget that day.

You should have turned around at give that little sassy pants a diva pat on the face!!!

Rick Watson said...

So funny.... we gays are such good spellers! I won a spelling bee when I was in 8th grade. I was the overall winner of middle school that year. Our middle school consisted of 6th, 7th, and 8th grades. I know some districts have no middle school. I even had my picture in the local paper! I kept the photo which should be at my mom's in the attic with my other school memorabilia.

Follick Photography said...

aww poor joshy! they gave you a trick word!!

i didnt even make it out of my home room...in 4th grade it was down to me and Tara Grimes...my word was forest and i spelled it like Forrest Gump hahaha. i was so pissed! now the state capital bees we used to have, i was the best at those!