Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Dad & Dawn's Trip to Philly

Hello.Hey, Bloggy Friends!

I hope you all had a great weekend. Ours was jam-packed and fabulous. My Dad and Dawn came to Philadelphia on Friday and stayed with us until Monday. We had such a great time. This was their first time in Philadelphia, and they were really impressed with what it had to offer.

We started the weekend off right, when they arrived Friday, by going to see our current show at The Philadelphia Theatre Company, The Happiness Lecture. They both loved it so much. My Dad said he hasn't laughed that much in a long time. I was so happy they enjoyed it. Afterwards we walked West on Lombard to an awesomely authentic Italian restaurant called Bistro La Baia. I can honestly say this was the best Italian meal I have had in the U.S., ever! It was a small, quaint place and they treated us like we were a guest in their home. It was fantastic. Let's go there when you come and visit, Bloggy Friends.

On Saturday we kicked off the afternoon with brunch at Le Bus on Main Street in Manayunk. Later we went to the Philadelphia Art Museum to check out the Modern/Contemporary Art section, and the Europen Art from 1100 to 1850. I am so impressed with this museum, you guys. It is definitely a world class, state of the art venue. I attached a few pics of some of my favorite pieces in my photo gallery HERE. I am so happy to have it so near. Let's go there when you come visit, too.

Saturday night, after tooling around the Historical District, we ate at what is now one of my favorite restaurants in Philadelphia, Farmicia. Farmicia is a fabulous restaurant in Old City that serves local, organic foods. It was so delicious. We had such a great time that we sat there for two hours at least, eating, chatting and sipping wine. Bloggy Friends, can we go there.... Oh, you know the rest..

We designated Sunday as a shopping day. Dawn wanted to check out Ikea, because there isn't one near her in Kentucky. We spent hours there, and each of us ended up with a cartload of goodies to take home with us. Shopping at Ikea is always an exhausting experience - but well worth the time spent. That evening we took Dad and Dawn to get a Philly Cheese Steak (they had to have one). We found out about a great place just around the corner from where we live, and they loved it. After dinner we walked along Kelly Drive, and looked at the city all lit up before returning home to bed.

I enjoyed myself so much. It was so good to have my dad here over Father's Day weekend. I believe this is the first Father's Day we have spent together in like 8 years at least. I'm not big on made up holidays, but it was still a nice thought. My Dad is so great, and Dawn is a ton of fun. I hope they decide to come back and visit us again soon! I love you both so much.

Enjoy my slideshow below. You can also click HERE for my Flickr album. You will find more pictures there, and they're in color! I'll also put a video together of our trip soon.

Have a great day. I love you all and hope you have a fantastic day. Welcome home Mimi!!

Love, Joshie



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Maybe it's the music (Antony & the Johnsons THANK YOUUUUUU!!!!), but your post today is so incredibly happy. I mean, you couldn't have asked for a better time with your dad. I didn't even know it was Father's Day. I never observed it. One year, I sent my mom a Father's Day card and wrote inside, "Thanks for being both to me."

So you had a nice time with Mimi and then this weekend with your dad. You are blessed, boy. Hang on to the happiness from the weekend. I got some of the fallout from it all the way down here.

Mnowac said...

Oh fun! It looks like you had a great time. I really do want to come visit, Philly sounds great.

Casey said...

What a fun trip and it sounds like you all were busy busy busy...

All of those restaurants sounds fabulous and now I'm officially hungry. :)

Rick Watson said...

I think it's great that your dad and Dawn travel all the way to Philly to spend the weekend with you and Alan. What a blessing to have family like that.

I sent my dad a card, as I do every year. I figure it's the least I can do. For the first time ever, I sent my grandpa a card too, honoring him on Father's Day. He'll be surprised!