Friday, January 16, 2009

Birthday Shout-Out: My Dad!

Friday, Friday Bloggy Friends!



Today is another one of those special days in January. On this day, in 1957, my dad was born. Some of my favorite memories of my father revolve around the adventure he used to bring into our lives. I believe it was him who instilled the love of exploration within myself. He ignited that flame of adventure in me that continues to burn today. He loved taking us on trips. In a given year we would travel all over the place. If it wasn't a long trip, to somewhere like Florida, it was a weekend getaway to a zoo, or an amusement park closer to home. Sometimes on a whim we would load into the car and take a trip to a state park, where we would hike and swim in waterfalls. It was great fun for a kid like me. But the times with my dad that stick out the most are the ones when it was just him, my brother and I. Just the guys. Sometimes we'd decide to pack a picnic lunch, and head out on foot to see what new nooks and crannies we could discover on the land of our farm. We'd be gone for hours, walking through creeks, climbing rocks and discovering dilapidated barns. My favorite part of the trip would come when we would find the perfect place to sit and have our lunch, usually on a big rock next to a stream. We'd pop a squat, and enjoy our cheese sandwiches and peanut butter crackers. After lunch we'd head down to the stream and splash water on our faces to clean up before heading out again.

These times with my dad definitely left quite an impression on me. These experiences help to make up one of the parts of myself that I love the most. Thanks Dad. I hope this is your best birthday yet!

I hope you all have a great day. Thanks for stopping by to share some memories with me. I adored all of your spelling bee stories. Who knew we were amongst such great spellers here! I'll chat with you soon.

Love, Josh

Picture Credits: The first photo below is of my father on Christmas Day in 1980. The one below that is my dad and I on Easter Day in 1981. At this point in my life he probably still had a glimmer of hope that I would follow in his footsteps by becoming an athlete!


5 comments:

Mnowac said...

Cute pics! Happy Birthday pappa Middleton. Love the pop a squat saying, I haven't said that in years!!! You can't take the Kentucky out of some people :) That's a good thing.

Casey said...

Happy Birthday for sure.

Enjoyed this post b/c of all the memories you have of your dad. Sounds like you all had a great time.

Rick Watson said...

happy birthday josh's daddy!

btw... girrl i grew up eating cheese sandwiches!! (on white bread of course)

gleeindc said...

OMG, my friend Josh's dad is younger than I am! I do remember the look, the hair (blown dry I suspect), the stache, the neck chain. Happy birthday, young man, and--about that son athlete thing--he might not be pro, but he's someone to be proud of.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your interesting dad, Josh.