Monday, May 26, 2008

Kentucky Road Trip, Pt. 1 (Lancaster)

Hello.Hey, Bloggy Friends!

Enjoy part one of my recent Kentucky road trip series. This video covers much of our first day - arriving in Kentucky and spending time with my Mom and family in Lancaster. We had such an amazing time. It was so good to see everyone. Visiting home in the spring/summer is 100x better than being there at Christmas, when everyone is too rushed to even scratch their butts. We were blessed with wonderful weather and my mom made a fantastic dinner. It's one of my favorites - Grease Salad! I know it may sound strange, and rather unhealthy, but it's an entree you can only enjoy about twice a summer - when the garden lettuce grows and is ready to be be cut. This is how it works: You make a salad out of fresh garden lettuce, add some radishes, bacon (if you prefer), and eggs and then drizzle piping hot grease over top of it! I love the way it sizzles. It really is so delicious and it brings back a ton of childhood memories. Mmmmmm.

I hope you guys are having a great extra day off. Are you doing anything special to celebrate or commemorate? I believe we are just going to chill, maybe take a walk, play with the puppy and make tofu hot dogs tonight for dinner! We thought it sounded good and American.

Enjoy today's video. Stay tuned for part two within the coming week!

Love you all,

Josh

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, this post has barely cooled off and here I am responding already! I think I am the bloggy friend who spends the most time on the computer. And all can be thankful I am here with my COFFEE at my elbow this morning, so no drunken remarks (good for you beating that weekend drinking, Rick!).

In central PA we used to have "dandelion greens" which were served warm with a bacon-based sauce (dressing, more like). A bit like the grease salad. I love when your Mom drizzled the grease on the salad there. She looks well.

So ... Papa is your step-father? (Please pardon me if I have this wrong!!!) I guess I imaged your mom still single.

So, was the encounter with Alex in the shop staged, or "live"? Glad to see the B.F.'s are being welcomed into family events. We are always watching, or "blogching." Uh-oh, what's in this coffee?

Rick Watson said...

Ohhh, such a sweet family! Nothing like my family, at all!

The little doggie was so cute! I though Alex was living here in Louisville. ?? Grease salad?? I've never heard of that in my entire life! I don't think I would like it. I have heard of, I may be wrong with this, but I think it's call red eye gravy??? It's basically grease you pour over a biscuit. I think it's country ham grease. OMG, no wonder southerners tend to be so fat!

The little boy saying grace was so sweet! The fact that he singled out both you and Alan was sweet too, even though he didn't remember Alan's name.

That poor little baby did not look happy! Maybe he was pooping???

Can't wait for part II of the KY series!

Casey said...

Loved the video & the chance to get to see a lot of your family. Very fun. I couldnt get my family to participate in a video even if I paid them. They are all camera shy.

The cousin saying grace was cute/funny.

So, my grandmother calls that "wilted lettuce." I had never heard of it until last year.

I'm anxious to see Part 2!