Sunday, April 20, 2008

Weekend Fun!

Hello.Hey, Bloggy Friends!

How are ya today? I hope you've had a great weekend. It has been very sunny and nice in Philadelphia over the past week. I love this warm weather. It was nice when this weekend finally rolled around, because things at school are really starting to pick up for the last time before classes end on May 5. I have a ton of papers and assignments due in a short period of time, so don't be surprised if you don't hear much from me over the coming weeks. Just imagine me knee deep in text books and send a special blessing my way!

We had a fantastic weekend. On Saturday Alan and I met up with his aunt Jude to see the current play at the Philadelphia Theatre Company, Third by Wendy Wasserstein. It was such a wonderfully written, sweet show. This is actually the last play ever written by Wasserstein, she passed away less than two years ago after a long battle with breast cancer. You may recognize the names of some of her other plays, such as An American Daughter and The Heidi Chronicles. We all loved it very much. If you have a chance to see this show, or another by Wendy Wasserstein, I highly suggest you get a ticket.

After the show the three of us strolled around Center City for a while before we went back to Jude's home for dinner. Waiting for us there was her always humorous husband, Lou. Throughout the course of the evening we chatted over wine and snacked on hors devours before finally enjoying one of the very best meals I have had in Philadelphia thus far. Jude is a fantastic cook, and I'm not just saying that because she may be reading! She confesses that cooking is one of her favorite pastimes. I can tell that she sees it as a form of artistic expression because the presentation was magnificent and the blending of tastes was out of this world delicious! She served us a whole fish (trout seasoned with rosemary, parsley, lemon and garlic), steamed asparagus, new potatoes and a scrumptious side salad of mixed greens. We were then served delicious tarts, from a local bakery, for dessert. Bloggy Friends, it was all so good. I hope you have someone in your lives who can cook like this for you from time to time. Thanks, Jude! There's nothing like a homecooked meal.

Today we haven't done much but take care of a few errands like shopping for groceries and taking out the garbage. It has been nice to lay around and relax before we start our weeks over again tomorrow. Alan worked a little in the backyard. He has been pulling weeds and cleaning it up to get ready for the summer. It is so nice to have a porch and a yard to lounge in! Perhaps we'll plant a bush or some flowers to admire during the warm months. I did watch about an hour of the Papal Mass today. I found it fascinating. I'm just amazed at the amount of grandeur and ceremony that goes into such an occasion. I am not Catholic so I don't really understand the importance of having the Pope visit America. There must be something huge about it, though, there were over 50,000 people packed into Yankee stadium. I was just intrigued by the mixture of spirituality and apparent celebrity that goes along with being the Pope. He's a diva!

Well, I guess I'll run for now. I hope you guys have a fantastic start to the new week. Luckily I'll be off of work over the next few weeks because this weekend was the closing for Third. I'll start back again when the next show begins. It's a blessing to have this time off during the last few weeks of school and finals. I'll talk to you soon!

Love you,

Josh

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG. I'm obsesssed with cooking a whole fish. I only tried it for the first time last month, when I made a snapper. I decided to broil it (how did Jude cook her fish?), and, uh ... well, broiling is not the best option for a whole fish that, uh, still has it's ... eyes. (Sorry for that!)

Thanks for the interesting and chatty Sunday blog. Today I made onion Rosemary bread, vegetarian chili, and chicken stock. I also played the clarinet, which I haven't done since January!!!

I'm glad about your schedule, because of all the courses you have. I feel like an idiot for not asking you specifically what classes you're taking, but the day we were up there was already so crowded with things to say and do. I know one is sociology.

Have a nice night and a fantastic, productive week!

Rick Watson said...

First of all, I don't get how anyone can eat a whole fish with the eye balls still in tact staring up at you! Yuck! Anyway, I'm sure it tasted better than it looked.

I have one more exam in the morning and am turning in a one last paper and I'm finished with this semester! It's over and done! Now comes summer... I'm registered for 2 courses, but if the financial aid is not there I won't be there either! I'll be off until the fall. I'll have to plan another Philly visit soon. My job at the church ends May 30. I don't know if they will renew my contract or not. I'm not even sure if I want to renew at this point.

Anyway.... girl, get those papers done and get those tests taken then you can relax and enjoy your days and the warm weather!

Have you put up any little white globe lights yet out back? I really think you should. It would make such a lovely statement and you would enjoy being out there more too. Plus, they're nice to look at from inside the house as well at night!

Did you hear Chelsea Clinton was partying at the gay bars in Philly over the weekend earning all those gay votes! Go Phillies!

-rick

EMullins said...

OMG, Mammy, I was starting to get worried about you. It's not like you to leave us waiting so long between blogs. Of course, schoolwork is a totally acceptable reason. I guess I can deal with not getting my Josh fix as often while you finish up the semester. Study hard and do good! =)

Casey said...

I missed this blog earlier today. I really enjoyed your "text" post. Nice mix-up.

Good luck with the papers/exams!

I have to take the old Sinead O'Connor approach with the pope though... I dont get it... and he's no where near Diva status in my opinion... Diva's only hate their personal assistants.